Our Research Projects
Cetos's scientific research efforts are currently focused in the Pacific waters of Hawai'i, as well as the Gulf of Maine, Alaska, Washington,
California, and elsewhere throughout the world, including studies of the critically endangered vaquita in Mexico.
Humpback Behavior Project
Our longest running project on the behavioral
ecology of Hawaiian humpback whales.
Offshore acoustic and visual surveys
Deepwater surveys looking at vocalizations of different species
using different techniques.
Behavior, photo-identification, and population studies of this critically endangered porpoise only found in Mexico.
Please make a tax deductible donation to Cetos Research Organization
What is Cetos
Cetos Research Organization is a non-profit organization with a focus on studying endangered marine species and other wildlife species about which little is known. We identify and assess anthropogenic impacts especially on marine wildlife, and when appropriate, propose solutions to minimize potential disturbances. We have offices on the east coast (Cetos Atlantic), California (Cetos Pacific), and Hawai'i. All our personnel contribute on our various projects throughout the US and internationally.
Monitoring Surveys and Mitigation
Cetos Research LLC is a business arm of our collective with staff who bring the capability to lead and perform monitoring surveys for marine mammals and sea turtles, the experience to address mitigation work, and the background to produce environmental documentation such as EISs, EAs, BAs, etc. Our monitoring surveys can be performed from vessels and/or aerial based platforms for at-sea observations. Cetos LLC can supply a variety of reports and products, including but not limited to survey designs, mitigation plans, environmental reports, and more. These surveys are effective both as strategies to collect “baseline” data in waters where future projects will occur, or for real-time assessment of any effects of active offshore projects. Our reports cover issues related to ESA, MMPA, and NEPA.
For more on Cetos LLC, please check out the link for past surveys we have done and our Cetos LLC page.
Cetos Recent News
- Join us on Facebook! “Like” us and follow our news: Cetos Research Organization
- Cetos's newest scientific publication came out in Aquatic Mammals in March 2014 (issue #40): Effects of Sex, Seasonal Period, and Sea State on Calf Behavior in Hawaiian Humpback Whales.
- Cetos completed a successful 2015 Field Season on Maui and met all our research goals! Visiting scientists from BioWaves,Scripps, and SES came and participated for some of the research. We got several tags on whales including on mothers and calves and continued our study on underwater behavior and social calls of humpbacks in Hawaiian waters.
- Cetos researchers are working up data to present for the upcoming Society of Marine Mammalogy meeting that will be held in San Francisco California December 2015.
- Buy Chocolates with a Conscience!! It's always a good time to give chocolates as a gift! Delight your friends and family Cetos Whale chocolates as gifts! A percentage of every purchase goes to our research. Launched originally on 6/8/10 (World's Oceans Day), our chocolates have been well received. They are delicious dark chocolate whale confections and make a great gift idea, and support conservation! We produce these in partnership with renowned CA chocolatier Coco Délice.
- Cetos in collaboration with BioWaves, Inc.is working via a grant from Sea World on the development of a software tool for the acoustic identification of orca calls, from different orca ecotypes in the Pacific Ocean. Stay tuned for news on this innovative project.
- Cetos and Viva Vaquita continue to team with Dr. Tom Jefferson in his efforts to study this highly endangered marine mammal. See our Vaquita page to learn more or to donate directly via Paypal. Recent studies show there are only 97 individuals left. Please help our conservation efforts for this critically endangered animals.
- Cetos has cool gifts! We have Cetos athletic socks, and logo stickers for your car, boat, pelican case, snowboard, etc! When you make a donation, we will send you a thank you gift. Read more about it on our Support Us page. Information about our new chocolates are on that page, too.