Our Research Projects
Cetos's scientific research efforts are currently focused in the Pacific waters of Hawai'i, as well as the Gulf of Maine, Alaska, Washington,
California, and elsewhere throughout the world, including studies of the critically endangered vaquita in Mexico.
Humpback Behavior Project
Our longest running project on the behavioral
ecology of Hawaiian humpback whales.
Offshore acoustic and visual surveys
Deepwater surveys looking at vocalizations of different species
using different techniques.
Behavior, photo-identification, and population studies of this critically endangered porpoise only found in Mexico.
Please make a tax deductible donation to Cetos Research Organization
What is Cetos
Cetos Research Organization is a non-profit organization with a focus on studying endangered marine species and other wildlife species about which little is known. We identify and assess anthropogenic impacts especially on marine wildlife, and when appropriate, propose solutions to minimize potential disturbances. We have offices on the east coast (Cetos Atlantic), California (Cetos Pacific), and Hawai'i. All our personnel contribute on our various projects throughout the US and internationally.
Monitoring Surveys and Mitigation
Cetos Research LLC is a business arm of our collective with staff who bring the capability to lead and perform monitoring surveys for marine mammals and sea turtles, the experience to address mitigation work, and the background to produce environmental documentation such as EISs, EAs, BAs, etc. Our monitoring surveys can be performed from vessels and/or aerial based platforms for at-sea observations. Cetos LLC can supply a variety of reports and products, including but not limited to survey designs, mitigation plans, environmental reports, and more. These surveys are effective both as strategies to collect “baseline” data in waters where future projects will occur, or for real-time assessment of any effects of active offshore projects. Our reports cover issues related to ESA, MMPA, and NEPA.
For more on Cetos LLC, please check out the link for past surveys we have done and our Cetos LLC page.
Cetos Recent News
- Join us on Facebook! “Like” us and follow our news: Cetos Research Organization
- Support our new Kickstarter campaign! We only have 60 days to raise money for our 2015 field season. Read all about it on Kickstarter's page.
- New publication in Aquatic Mammals (issue #40): Effects of Sex, Seasonal Period, and Sea State on Calf Behavior in Hawaiian Humpback Whales.
- Cetos came in second! in a St. Valentine's Day charity drive held by EMPSi, a San Francisco environmental consulting firm . All 7 non profits participating will receive a charitable donation from EMPSi, with amounts based on the # of votes received by each organization. Cetos is grateful for all those who voted to help us receive this grant!
- Cetos researchers attended the Society for Marine Mammalogy Biennial Meeting in December in New Zealand.
- Cetos researchers just back from a workshop meeting in Newport Beach, CA – the Southern California Marine Mammal workshop
- Developing tagging study for winter 2015 as part of our underwater behavior and call study of humpbacks in Hawaiian waters. Possible sites include the Northwest Hawaiian Islands.
- Whale chocolates sales increased in 2013 from the year before. Launched in 6/8/10 (World’s Oceans Day), our delicious dark chocolate whale confections in partnership with renowned CA chocolatier Coco Délice are a success. A portion of the sales go to our research. Buy Chocolates with a Conscience.
- Cetos awarded a Marisla grant for our 2014 Vaquita study
- Cetos and Viva Vaquita continue to team with Dr. Tom Jefferson in his efforts to study this highly endangered marine mammal. See our Vaquita page to learn more or to donate directly via Paypal.
- Cetos has cool gifts! We have Cetos athletic socks, and logo stickers for your car, boat, pelican case, snowboard, etc! When you make a donation, we will send you a thank you gift. Read more about it on our Support Us page. Information about our new chocolates are on that page, too.
(Contact us for the PDFs)
- 2012. Bioacoustics. Hierarchical and rhythmic organization in the songs of Humpback Whales.
- 2010. Pacific Science. Rare sightings of a Bryde's whale and sei whales northeast of O'ahu, Hawai'i.
- Read our Archives